Founded in 2013 by the Junior League of Dallas, in collaboration with Mary Kay Inc., the Women LEAD (Learn • Excel • Achieve • Dream) scholarship program was created to assist female high school students in pursuing their dreams of higher education and to create opportunities for future women leaders.
The program is inspired by Mary Kay Ash – founder of the now iconic and global cosmetics company that she started in Dallas 50 years ago with just $5,000 and a dream of enriching women’s lives. The Women LEAD scholarship program will award $25,000 in college scholarships to four female senior high school students at Emmett J. Conrad, South Oak Cliff and Thomas Jefferson High Schools.
The scholarship application was released to Emmett J. Conrad High School students in September and applications are due in mid-December. Ten selected finalists will prepare a three-to five-minute speech and compete in a speech contest in March 2016. Finalists will be judged on content, delivery and stage presence by a panel of judges from the Junior League of Dallas and Mary Kay Inc. along with community leaders.
The first place winner will receive a one-time $10,000 scholarship. Second, third and fourth place winners will each receive a one-time $5,000 scholarship.
- Must be a female student currently enrolled (as of September 15, 2015) and classified as a senior at Emmett J. Conrad High School in the Dallas Independent School District.
- Must be eligible and plan to attend a two- or four-year accredited college or university.
- Must have good character and record of service to the school and community.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA at the end of junior year.
- Eligible students must submit a typed or clearly printed complete application with all of the required documentation placed together in a manila envelope or the application will not be reviewed.
- Applications must be received in the senior counselor’s office by the deadline date selected.
- If selected, finalists must participate in a speech contest (date TBD).
- Scholarship winners must provide verification of college enrollment to the Junior League of Dallas. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the college or university in which the student enrolls. Scholarship funds will not be paid directly, nor reimbursed, to an award recipient. Recipients will be responsible for obtaining appropriate paperwork from their enrolled college.
- Scholarship winners must provide annual updates to the Junior League of Dallas and Mary Kay Inc.
METHOD OF SELECTION
The Women LEAD Scholarship Program Committee will review the scholarship applications and select up to ten scholarship finalists. Those finalists must prepare a three to five minute speech based on the essay topic provided below and compete in a speech contest. Finalists will be judged on content, delivery and stage presence by a panel of Junior League of Dallas members, Mary Kay Inc. representatives and community leaders.
The scholarship winners will receive the following one-time awards:
- 1st place: $10,000
- 2nd place: $5,000
- 3rd place: $5,000
- 4th place: $5,000
*Scholarship awards must be used for the payment of tuition, books and/or fees.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Junior League of Dallas has a long-term commitment to empowering women, just like Mary Kay Inc., and we thank them for their collaboration on this exciting new JLD program.