Founded in 2013 by the Junior League of Dallas, the Women LEAD (Learn • Excel • Achieve • Dream) scholarship program was created to assist female high school students in pursuing their dreams of higher education. Since its inception, the program has awarded 32 scholarships totaling more than $185,000.
This year, the Women LEAD scholarship program will award $40,000 in scholarships to 10 female seniors at Emmett J. Conrad, South Oak Cliff, and Thomas Jefferson High Schools.
- September– Scholarship application is released to students
- Dec. 6, 2019 – Applications due to student’s senior counselor’s office
- February – March – Ten finalists prepare for speech competition
- March 25, 2020 – Speech Competition
- Must be a female senior student currently enrolled (as of Sept. 13, 2019) at Emmett J. Conrad High School, South Oak Cliff High School or Thomas Jefferson High School in the Dallas Independent School District.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA at the end of her junior year.
- Must plan to attend a two- or four-year accredited college, university or vocational school.
- Must have good character and a record of service to the school and community.
Eligible students must submit a typed or clearly printed application with the required documentation in an envelope to be submitted to the senior counselor’s office by Dec. 6, 2019.
The Women LEAD Scholarship Program Committee will review the applications and select up to ten finalists. Finalists must prepare a three to five-minute speech based on the essay topic decided by the committee to be delivered at the speech competition on March 25, 2020. Finalists will be judged on content, delivery and stage presence by a panel of League members and community leaders.
The scholarship winners will receive the following one-time awards:
- 1st place: $15,000
- 2nd place: $10,000
- 3rd place: $5,000
- 4th place: $3,000
- 5th place: $2,000
- 6th-10th honorable mentions: $1,000 each
Scholarship winners must provide verification of college enrollment to the Junior League of Dallas. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the college or university in which the student enrolls. Scholarship funds will not be paid directly nor reimbursed to an award recipient. Scholarship awards must be used for the payment of tuition, books and/or fees. Recipients will be responsible for obtaining appropriate paperwork from their enrolled college. Scholarship winners must provide annual updates to the Junior League of Dallas.
Questions? Email: email@example.com