Founded in 2013 by the Junior League of Dallas, in collaboration with Mary Kay Inc., the Women LEAD (Learn • Excel • Achieve • Dream) scholarship program was created to assist female high school students in pursuing their dreams of higher education and to create opportunities for future women leaders.
The program was inspired by Mary Kay Ash – founder of the now iconic and global cosmetics company that she started in Dallas over 50 years ago with just $5,000 and a dream of enriching women’s lives. Over the last 4 years, the Women LEAD Scholarship program has awarded 27 scholarships totaling more than $155,000.
This year, the Women LEAD scholarship program will award $25,000 in college scholarships to 4 female senior high school students at Emmett J. Conrad, South Oak Cliff and Thomas Jefferson High Schools.
The scholarship application is released to students in September and applications are due in early December. Ten selected finalists then prepare a three-to five-minute speech and compete in a speech contest in March. Finalists will be judged on content, delivery and stage presence by a panel of judges from the Junior League of Dallas and Dallas community leaders.
The first-place winner will receive a one-time $10,000 scholarship. Second, third, and fourth place winners will each receive a one-time $5,000 scholarship.
- Must be a female student currently enrolled (as of September 14, 2018) and classified as a senior at Emmett J. Conrad High School, South Oak Cliff High School or Thomas Jefferson High School in the Dallas Independent School District.
- Must be eligible and plan to attend a two- or four-year accredited college or university.
- Must have good character and a record of service to the school and community.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA at the end of her junior year.
- Eligible students must submit a typed or clearly printed, complete application, including all of the required documentation. All application materials must be placed together in a manila envelope for submission or the application will not be reviewed.
- Applications must be received in the senior counselor’s office by the deadline date (December 7, 2018).
- If selected, finalists must participate in a speech contest (March 28, 2019).
- Scholarship winners must provide verification of college enrollment to the Junior League of Dallas. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the college or university in which the student enrolls. Scholarship funds will not be paid directly, nor reimbursed, to an award recipient. Recipients will be responsible for obtaining appropriate paperwork from their enrolled college.
- Scholarship winners must provide annual updates to the Junior League of Dallas.
METHOD OF SELECTION
The Women LEAD Scholarship Program Committee will review the scholarship applications and select up to ten scholarship finalists. Those finalists must prepare a three to five-minute speech based on the essay topic decided by the committee and compete in a speech contest. Finalists will be judged on content, delivery and stage presence by a panel of Junior League of Dallas members and community leaders.
The scholarship winners will receive the following one-time awards:
- 1st place: $10,000
- 2nd place: $5,000
- 3rd place: $5,000
- 4th place: $5,000
*Scholarship awards must be used for the payment of tuition, books and/or fees.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Junior League of Dallas is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.