Email sent from President Brooke Bailey to All JLD Members on March 20
Dear Fellow Members:
As you’ve probably heard, the City of Dallas has extended the limit on gatherings of more than 50 through April 29. Accordingly, we will suspend all League events, community volunteering, in-person meetings and other group gatherings through April 29. Headquarters will remain closed for the safety of our members, guests and staff until further notice.
Since we don’t know when we will be able to hold gatherings or volunteer in the community, all Active and Provisional meeting credit and service hour obligations are waived for the 2019 – 2020 year. No matter what you have completed (or not) as of today, you will be moved into 2020 – 2021 as a member in good standing.
We know members are under a number of pressures right now and will be for a while. So, we’re hoping this will help in some small way.
- Dues Deadline Extended to May 1 – We encourage you to pay dues as you are able, so we may continue to meet our commitments. (Our dues pay our staff, keep Headquarters running and well maintained and supports the valuable training our members receive each year.) At the same time, we know some members have seen their incomes dramatically reduced or disappear for the foreseeable future. If you have any concerns, please contact Kristianne Hinkamp, so we can work with you.
- Continue Communicating – Keep in contact with your Chair, so we can continue to effectively respond to and most importantly support you.
- 2020 – 2021 Community Placements – We are working on staffing members in community placements for next year. Although we don’t know when volunteering will resume, we do know our community partners will need us more than ever when that day comes. More details to come and will be shared with those placed.
This situation will test us in ways we can’t even imagine yet. Let’s especially remember our members in the medical profession, the first responders and those working to distribute critical necessities and food in our community.
A special request: Please do what you can to stay (virtually) connected with fellow members. Whether you live alone, have a very full house or are some place in between, we are going to need each other more than ever. Call that friend. Do a video chat. Send an email or text.
With so much out of our control, I’ve been thinking about all we do have. The League is a special place where women passionate about doing more for Dallas come together to be more for ourselves and those in our lives.
You, the members of the Junior League of Dallas, are just the women this moment needs.
2019 – 2020 President
Email sent from President Brooke Bailey to All JLD Members on March 13 – Please See Note Above for Latest Update
Dear Actives, Provisionals and Sustainers:
Due to the current and evolving state of COVID-19 in our community, we are suspending all League events (including Provisional and Sustainers) through April 4 and closing our Headquarters for the safety of our members, guests and staff until further notice. This is clearly a difficult situation, but this is the right thing to do.
EVENTS SUSPENDED THROUGH APRIL 4
This includes ALL League events and gatherings at HQ or in the community, as well as volunteer work in the community, such as: Committee Meetings / Orientations, Special Interest Group gatherings and Community Placements. Unfortunately, this also includes the Women LEAD Speech Competition (March 25) and our annual Auction (March 28). We are also cancelling the March Provisional Course Meeting (March 23) and the Diversity & Inclusion Summit (April 2 & 3).
This covers Sustainer events, including the upcoming New Orleans trip and NorthPark Tour (March 26).
HEADQUARTERS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- Our staff will be working remotely virtually, so we can continue to serve you as much as possible. Please have patience as we adapt and join me in thanking them for their extra efforts.
- If you have a meeting scheduled at HQ, your chair will reach out soon to make alternate plans. To avoid community transmission, groups should not re-gather at another location. Where possible, League members may continue their work virtually. But, to be very clear, we expect your primary focus to be taking care of yourself and your family.
- Dues checks can still be mailed to Headquarters, as mail will be picked up periodically.
For Actives and Provisionals, please do not worry about placement credits for now. We do not know how long this situation will last and all the ways it might impact us. We will communicate when we know more.
We continue to monitor the recommendations and alerts from the Dallas County Health Department to determine the best time to resume events and re-open Headquarters. If you have any questions or concerns, your Chair will be your first point of contact. She will connect with our Leadership team, so we can respond effectively.
Over the past few days, I’ve thought about our mission, as League members, to serve Dallas. Right now, this means taking actions to protect each other and the community we hold so dear. It’s times like these when we will come together — albeit virtually — to show the best of who we are.
2019 – 2020 President