Founded in 2013 by the Junior League of Dallas, the Women LEAD (Learn • Excel • Achieve • Dream) scholarship program was created to assist female high school students in pursuing their dreams of higher education. Since the program began, the League has awarded 52 scholarships totaling more than $265,000 to female seniors at Emmett J. Conrad, South Oak Cliff and Thomas Jefferson High Schools.
The application process is now open. Please check back soon for updates.
- September – Scholarship application is released to students
- December – Applications due to student’s senior counselor’s office
- February – March – The ten finalists prepare a speech for the final speech contest
- March – Final Speech Competition
- Must be a female senior student currently enrolled (as of Aug. 20, 2021) at Emmett J. Conrad High School, South Oak Cliff High School or Thomas Jefferson High School in the Dallas Independent School District.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA at the end of her junior year.
- Must plan to attend a two- or four-year accredited college, university or vocational school.
- Must have good character and a record of service to the school and community.
- Eligible students must submit a typed or clearly printed application with the required documentation in an envelope to be submitted to the senior counselor’s office by Dec. 15, 2021.
- Application Workshops – A chance for potential applicants to learn about the Junior League of Dallas, the Women LEAD Scholarship, and the application process. During this session, applicants can ask questions about the steps needed to apply.
- Thomas Jefferson High School – Thursday, Oct. 21 at 4:45 p.m.
- South Oak Cliff High School – Thursday, Oct. 28 at 2:15 p.m.
- Emmett J. Conrad High School – Friday, Oct. 29 at 12:00 p.m.
- The Women LEAD Scholarship Program Committee will review the applications and select up to 10 finalists.
- Finalists must prepare a three-to five-minute speech based on the essay topic decided by the committee to be delivered at the speech contest on March 30, 2022. Finalists will be judged on content, delivery and stage presence by a panel of League members and community leaders.
- Speech Workshop – If selected as a finalist, finalists may attend a public speaking workshop to perfect their skills and prepare for their speech competition. Stay tuned for additional details.
The scholarship winners will receive the following one-time awards:
- 1st place: $15,000
- 2nd place: $10,000
- 3rd place: $5,000
- 4th place: $3,000
- 5th place: $2,000
- 6th-10th honorable mentions: $1,000 each
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.